Sunday, November 6, 2011

Adult with Breast Cancer Risk Behavior Survey

I am very sad that drinking alcohol causes cancer. I really like drinking alcohol. Even when I hate the taste, I always love the warm feeling of comfort and well being that it brings. The latest study shows that even as few as four drink a week may increase your risk of getting breast cancer. And I'm not talking vodka martinis, my friends. I'm talking vodka martinis AND that wimpy glass of chardonnay that we middle-aged suburban ladies are so fond of, AND everything in between.

I do not believe that I am alcoholic for a number of reasons:
  • I never have a drink before 5:00 PM...yea, yea, yea, I've heard the joke...east coast time 
  • I never drink alone
  • I mostly confine my drinking to Friday and Saturday nights with a group of friends
  • I usually do not drink more that 2 or 3 glasses of wine in an evening
  • I do not see my aggressive efforts to get that group of friends together religiously every freakin' Friday and Saturday nights as cause for concern
So I spend a lot of time considering the impact of this bad news on my risk of recurrence, or more candidly, on my risk of dying within the next couple of years. I think that I have been aware of studies that indicated that there is an association between breast cancer and alcohol consumption for at least the last ten years. I never did much in response to this knowledge except feel guilty every time I had a drink. In fact, it was my guilt about drinking over the holidays that inspired me to do a punishing breast self exam on January 2, 2011 that got this blog started. 

So it's no surprise that I am certain I got breast cancer from alcohol consumption. You would think that this theory would put the kibosh on drinking, and through chemotherapy it did, mostly because I couldn't stand the taste of it then. Sadly, once I finished chemotherapy, my taste for alcohol returned. 

So I thought it might help to analyze here, in this public place, my risk of recurrence in connection with my alcohol consumption. A fairly pessimistic estimate, I think, of my risk of recurrence is about 20%  (my doctor tells me it is more like 8%, but I think he's just trying to cheer me up.) According to the latest study, drinking an average of 10.0 to 19.9 g of alcohol per day (6 to 12 drinks a week) results in a 22% increased risk of developing breast cancer. Although my average consumption is lower than that, I will continue with the worst case scenario approach. So adding the additional risk of .044 brings my personal risk of recurrence up to about 24%. So what do you think? Check out the new poll on the right. A couple of additional considerations to keep in mind as you place your votes:
  • there is no evidence yet that discontinuing alcohol consumption lowers risk
  • if I can't drink, life isn't worth living
  • the anxiety that I feel with each drink might increase my risk of recurrence
  • I am NOT an alcoholic 




No comments:

Post a Comment