Sunday, October 16, 2011

Autumn Yoga

Happy Autumn, my friends. I've already written about changing seasons and their nostalgic associations so I won't do that again, but wanted to point out that I've selected a new background for the blog to celebrate the season. Too clever, I know.

So I thought I would give you a sense of what a yoga class with cancer patients is like. I used to like doing "hot yoga" which is basically fast yoga in a room heated to about 98 degrees. I was the least skilled at it, but it was so efficient. I got the benefit of yogic breathing and stretching in addition to the "cardio" that came from trying to keep up with the pace, and mimicking positions that hurt like hell and couldn't possibly have been good for me. But when I was in "downward dog", the resting position, I could see the sweat drip on the mat from body parts that I never knew could excrete sweat. Gross but gratifying.



Yoga with cancer patients is a different experience. I arrive at class five minutes late. No problem. The ladies (it is all ladies - with breast cancer) are still signing in, pulling out mats, strolling back and forth to the bathroom, the water fountain. Fifteen minutes after the class was scheduled to start the group is lined up, standing on their mats facing the instructor. The instructor talks for 10 minutes about the importance of breathing. The instructor tells us to swing our arms around our bodies to enjoy the "stretch" that comes with the slightest twist of the torso. Someone farts. We are instructed to pull up a chair, have a seat, breeaaaatttthhhhh. Stand up, grip the back of the chair, make sure we are well balanced, then (this is the climax of the class)  lean over to "stretch" our hamstrings. Someone farts.

Someone asks, "can you write down these steps so that I can do them at home?" Someone else says, "what a good idea! I only do this "exercise" in class. I should really try to do it more often." Someone farts.

Then the following conversation takes place:

"My daughter-in-law has been doing yoga for years, and she looks fabulous."
"Oh, is that the daughter with the twins?"
"Yes. I spent the afternoon with them yesterday. They are too funny."
"Did I tell you? My son's wife is due in December!"
"You must be so excited."
"Oh, I am. I hope I live long enough to meet the baby."

To those of us still bent over our chairs, the instructor says, "stand up straight and swing the arms to release the muscles, and breeaaaath." "Now it is time to lie down on our mats. Raise the knees and breeeeaaaaath." Relax your toes, relax your ankles (huh?), relax your knees, relax your buttocks, relax your pelvis (once again, huh?), relax your lower back, your stomach, your shoulders, your neck (you'll note one body part we needn't bother relaxing, since for most of us that body part is in a landfill somewhere).

Loud snoring is heard from the back of the room. Someone farts.


No comments:

Post a Comment