Saturday, August 27, 2011

Post Chemo Milestones

I have reached a new milestone in my post-chemo recovery. I am back to running 3+ miles most mornings. I have been a "runner" since I was a sophomore in college (a very, very long time ago.) I use quotation marks for this word, "runner," since by an actual runner's standards, I am a walker. Before my diagnosis, I was "running" about 10 minute miles. I am now "running" something close to 12 minute miles. If you were driving by and saw me from the rear, you would see a short, lumpy woman shuffling like a duck in a hurry, while shifting the weight of her upper body in a sort of regular rhythm, thereby creating the illusion of a forward momentum that is faster than a walk, but it isn't.

My route includes one very long, very steep hill. Yesterday was the first day that I completed the "run," including the hill, without slowing to a walk (which might be closer to a crawl?) This feels like progress to me.  Another step back to my old self.

In other news, I shaved my legs! Yes, my friends, chemotherapy is like Nair for the whole body. But it's marching back in force. Even my head has a bit of fur on it.

Almost time to ditch the bandannas, hats, and wigs (which I never wore)...I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment