Thursday, June 23, 2011

Poll Results and Mental Health Update


So I am sure you are all dying to know the results of the poll. Eleven of you voted and the vote was unanimous that the Tufts response was unsatisfactory. You win. I will tell Tufts that I am not satisfied with their proposed "solution" to my complaint in a letter that I have copied below. I give Tufts further credit in the meantime for posting a comment in response to my post entitled, "A Lesson in Health Insurance." Now, that's astute social networking.

All continues to go smoothly with my treatment. The side effects of the chemo are tolerable, although becoming tiresome. I have four more infusions of the current cocktail and then a break before radiation starts. Did I tell you that during that break I am traveling with my family on a National Geographic Expedition to the Galapogos? We are celebrating the end of chemo, my mother's birthday and a 25th wedding anniversary. We're in a kind of carpe diem phase lately.

As the end of treatment approaches I feel increasing trepidation about my future health. My primary care provider has been haranguing me about the blood pressure readings I am getting before each infusion. She knows about these readings by tracking them through her secret, back door access to my cancer medical records. I think she's jealous about all the cancer drama and wants a piece of the action. As long as I can remember, or at least since the days I thought I had AIDS, my blood pressure is elevated at the doctor's office. "White coat hypertension" they call it. Wouldn't I be dead by now if I really had a serious, 30-year-old, untreated problem with my blood pressure?

Many times I have been instructed to take my blood pressure at home to prove that it is lower there than in the medical office, and year after year the readings prove the point. But my PCP doesn't seem convinced or she's concerned about a negligence lawsuit. The oncology nurse practitioner told me recently that she once participated in a workshop during which the facilitator instructed the attendees to be guided every day of  their practice by imagining what the patient might say in the witness box should she file a medical malpractice complaint. So much for medicine as art.

So the PCP called the oncologist and told the oncologist to tell me to set up an appointment with her to discuss my blood pressure readings. (She must have thought that the oncologist would have more sway with me than she would. Kind of like 7th grade romancing - Jenny, you tell Joey to tell Harry that Penelope likes you...) Meanwhile, the oncologist says, "I never pay any attention to the blood pressure readings that are collected in this office. You'd have to be dead not to have elevated blood pressure while receiving cancer treatments."

So all of this serves to remind me that once this breast cancer stuff is done, it's not like I can pretend I am healthy and happy and never have to worry about illness again. First, there is the 10% chance of recurrence. Second, my risks for getting other diseases is probably elevated. Third, I could get a whole new cancer and have to go through all this again, and worse. (Lately I've been focusing on melanoma and colon cancer.) I met a lady recently who while recovering from breast cancer treatment learned that she had colon cancer. This is why carpe diem works for me. I feel pretty good and pretty safe today. Time to go for a walk in the rain.

Have a happy week, everyone. xoxoxox
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response to Tufts

Dear Ms. Jacobson,

Thank you for your letter dated May 19. I have considered your response and the proposed "resolution" of my complaint and have decided that it is not satisfactory, in part because I do not understand what the resolution is. Although you acknowledge that Tufts personnel did not follow proper procedures, you do not offer any suggestions for how to ensure that future patients do not suffer similar problems filling their prescriptions. You merely state that  "Your concerns have been documented and are now on file with Tufts Health Plan."   I do not see how this action resolves my complaint.

You discuss how personnel receive regular training on customer service but customer service wasn't really the issue. The issue was a conflict between two policies: one which required that the drug be provided through a mail order system and one that restricted dispensing of the drug to once every 14 days. My physician instructed me to take the drug every fourteen days following each chemotherapy appointment. The Tufts policy prohibited CuraScript from sending out the drug earlier than the 14th day of the cycle thereby making it impossible for me to receive the drug in time to take it as prescribed. As a consequence of these conflicting policies, I was obliged to spend hours making phone calls to Tufts and CuraScript to obtain a waiver of the policy that would allow me to pick up the medicine at my local pharmacy. Moreover, Tufts and CuraScript personnel were obliged to deal with an anxious and increasingly frustrated patient for many hours that could have been spent more productively. In other words the conflicting policies result in more waste, increased overhead and lost productivity. It seems to me that the only appropriate "resolution" would be to change the policies to either extend the dispensing period to accommodate mailing time or to do away with the mail order requirement.

You also mention that CuraScript sent the prescription for four doses of Neulasta to CVS and "as such, CuraScript no longer held a valid prescription on file to accommodate future fills." This process is almost impossible to imagine in an era when most correspondence is conducted electronically ensuring that a "copy" of the prescription would still be available to CuraScript. If CuraScript actually conducts business in the manner you describe such that it does not retain copies of the prescriptions it sends to the pharmacy, I think another possible "resolution" to my complaint would be for Tufts to cancel its contract with CuraScript.

My chief objective is to prevent future incidents of this kind. Filing this paperwork will not achieve that result.
Thank you again for your efforts to seriously consider the issues I have raised.

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment